Monday, November 5, 2007

Story Idea-schools, family, safety, resources

This person wants more coverage on a wide range of issues. This item was emailed to this blog.--AR
Thank you SO much for covering this story in your area. I wish our local new station would cover something similar.

I am a mother of 4, two children are on the spectrum. Both of my children on the spectrum have been diagnosed with PDD-NOS. My 6 year old son is mild mannered, verbal and very intelligent. People often tell me that I spoil him too much and that "it's not that bad". They often don't understand that Autism is not rocking and hand flapping. There are other self stimulatory behaviors.

My daughter is 4 years old and she does not have speech that is well understood, but she trys her hardest to speak, she is a bit agressive, but can be sweet most of the time. I hate that people just think that I am a bad parent.

It would be beneficial to cover some of these issues:

1. Local and national resources - often when parents receive the diagnosis they are not directed to the next step.

2. Affect on sibilings and resources for them. - My five year old son has stepped into a "care taker" roll for the other children.

3. Safety issues for the individual with autism - My 6 year old son has very scripted "echolalic" speech it would be difficult if he were lost and a stranger asked his address or other vital information. He could answer, but not an appropriate response. Others are non verbal and would not be able to respond or know how to ask for assistance

4. Affects of disability on a marriage

5. Education system and Autism.

6. Rights of the individual with Autism and their parents.

Again - Thank you for doing this story! I wish you the best.

-Meredith, Columbus, OH

No comments: