Thursday, October 18, 2007

Autistic or has autism

We have a previous post discussing this topic...feel free to comment on here or the other post. This item was emailed to this blog--AR

I have a problem with the label Autistic and so does my son who has autism. It is just like calling him a retarded. I think that word should be considered raceist. Autism does not define who our children are.

There needs to be some sort of intervention between us and everybody else. These kids can't stand up for themselves like other people who play the race card daily. What is happening to these kids in schools among peers and teachers is really a disgrace. We have rights too.

We need help and we need support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no right or wrong way to refer to autistic children and adults.

Comparing it to racism is utterly ridiculous.

Like I always say, if you have an issue with how I refer to my child, then go get your own and refer to them however you wish.

I refer to my son as autistic, with autism, has autism, etc, whatver makes sense at the time. I find the whole "child with autism", "person first" language to be extremely offensive on a personal level.

The very idea that not only an individual, but many institutions are behind this nonsense is repulsive. Why? Because of the intent. The intent is to "soften" the disorder by changing the language.

If some people find the word "autistic" offensive, GOOD. That may shed some light on the EPIDEMIC, which is OFFENSIVE, as well as the sorry excuses for treatment and education that many states have.

As far as the impact LANGUAGE will have on how society treats my child, there would be no difference. Stop wasting time with trivial nonsense.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above comment. My child has autism, is autistic....
It is not how it is said does not change that fact that my child is on the spectrum, that my child is not "typical" I dont care what it is called as long as people are aware that an epidemic is happening! Ten years ago 1 in 10,000 today 1 in 150, in ten more years will it be a 50/50 chance of having a child with autism before people wake up! THose that dont live with this everyday dont care, they need to be woken up and made to care because they eventually will be affected some way by autism.