Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Kentucky--Robert

I agreed to help Ashley in August when she said that she was working on a series for KOMU and that she need research assistants. I thought it would be a pretty easy gig and that maybe I would learn a little. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I started this project with little to no knowledge about autism; I have learned so much about the subject, and it's been anything but easy. I found that out after my first meeting with Ashley where she immediately assigned me to begin research on chelation therapy and its usefullness as a treatment for autism. I have spent many hours working on research for this series and got to hear many of your stories about your experiences with chelation and autism. I also got familiar with many of the big players in the world of autism; not surprisingly Dr. Boyd Haley was among these names. Imagine my excitement when I found out that I'd be able to go with Ashley to Lexington, Kentucky to interview him.

The trip was absolutely incredible. We left at six in the morning on Sunday from KOMU and just about the first thing we did once we arrived was meet up with Dr. Haley at his lab off the UK campus. We did the interview there, which lasted a little over hour. Then we shot some footage of him working in his lab and we agreed to meet him again the next day. Monday morning we met Dr. Haley again and he took us to his lab on campus where we got some more footage of him. After we shot some promo shots and stand-ups we left for Missouri.

I can't wait for you all to see this series, it's going to be great.

No comments: