Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Story Idea-no need for change

This posting was submitted from a person who wants to express some people with autism don't want any help through therapies and other treatments. This item was emailed to this blog--AR

Hi I got your message on autistics.org. I am not on the spectrum, but have a 7 year old non verbal boy who is. I went to the site to find out what really is going on with people with autism. No one could tell me, and I felt like my son wanted me to know. There are no garuntees that people are who they claim, but I decided to go and have an open mind.

I learned a lot. First, I learned that people with autism really like who they are, and if given the choice they wouldn't change it. It gives them a unique point of view, and sometimes it gives them the gift of artistry. I felt like I missed the mark as a parent. Instead of spending so much time wondering where my son would fit in in the world, I should've been learning about him and making sure his self esteem stayed in tact. I mean, he has to be happy. Who cares if on an IQ test he looks like he knows nothing. He is a human being with strengths and weaknesses. There is so much I wish I could say, but it is hard for adults with autism. They don't feel like people value their opinion and that if they have an opinion, they are "too smart" to be really autistic. It is not true.

I would hope someone would put up a blog, but I doubt it. If you really want to learn, I'd suggest reading past posts, and slowly asking questions. You can learn a lot, and these adults on the spectrum are VERY intelligent, and I know one day my son will be the same. You need to stop and look to be able to see it-otherwise you'll miss its subtlety.

No comments: